If you’re experiencing swelling in the legs and feet this summer, you may find that it is not only embarrassing but uncomfortable and impractical. Leg swelling or edema affects many older adults due to a variety of reasons. Luckily there is relief for patients who suffer from vascular conditions affecting the legs and feet.
Heart Vascular and Leg of Bakersfield, CA can help to identify and treat symptoms of vascular conditions.
What are some of the causes of foot and leg swelling?
- Sitting or Standing Too Long: A common reason for leg swelling is prolonged sitting or standing. Heat can also make the swelling worse.
- Obesity: Being overweight can decrease blood circulation, causing fluid to build up in the legs, ankles, & feet.
- Diet: A diet with excessive salt can increase swelling.
- Certain medications such as those containing steroids, hormones, antidepressants and anti-inflammatory drugs can cause leg, foot & ankle swelling.
Chronic Venous Insufficiency:
- C.V.I. occurs when the veins are unable to pump blood adequately, causing blood to pool in the legs.
- Leg swelling due to varicose veins occurs when the leaking problem veins cause blood to pool and waste products to accumulate in the leg.
Peripheral Arterial Disease:
- Peripheral Arterial Disease (P.A.D.) is a condition in which the arteries that carry blood to the arms or legs become narrowed or clogged, interfering with normal flow of the blood.
The Heart Vascular and Leg specializes in the treatment of vein disorders. Upon consultation, their doctors will evaluate and treat symptoms based on the individual patient’s specific needs. Often lifestyle changes are recommended for initial treatment. The Vascular and Leg Center works with the patient’s primary care provider and any other specialist to benefit the patient’s overall health.
Call 661-324-4100 today to find relief for swollen legs, feet and ankles.